Monday, July 19, 2010

The Lord is Faithful....

To say that the Lord is faithful seems like an understatement....but it is the only way I know to start this blog. I shared that our team verse was Ephesians 3:18-21 and wow did the Lord ever keep his promise to do exceedingly and abundantly more than all we could have asked or imagined during our time in Uganda.


I mentioned in the last post and on several other occassions that I have been trying to get to Africa for 1o years. My biggest fear is that it would either be all that imagined and more and I wouldn't want to come home or that it wouldn't be what I expected and I would be disappointed. Let me just clear it up right now...I was not disappointed. I feel like my heart found it's rightful home in Africa. I have never felt so alive. I am already praying that the Lord would fling the door open wide for me to go back for a longer period of time...even permanently. Enough about that though...let me share stories.

First let me introduce you to the team officially now that I can add pictures to the blog.

from left to right: Maggie, KB, Heather, Jimmy and Matt
I couldn't have asked for a better team to travel Uganda with. The Lord kept us laughing with and at each other for two and half weeks. The more I was with them the more I loved them. I was like a proud mom sitting back taking thousands of pics and watching them play soccer and lead songs and love on kids. I beamed with pride every time I got to hear one of them share the gospel and my heart beat out of my chest every time I children would raise their hands...ready to follow Jesus. As we traveled from school to school, from district to district in Northern Uganda..I am proud to tell you that we have over 6000 new brothers and sisters in Christ. Every night we would sit together in utter astonishment at the way the Lord was working. The apostle Paul was right when he wrote "At the NAME of JESUS every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!" All we had to do was be faithful to share and Christ made himself irristable the people we shared with.

My mom asked me why I loved Uganda so much and all I can really say is that the people were simple. When you met a believe you knew without a doubt that their hope nad their joy was Christ alone. Jimmy and I were talking one day in the van and the best I could muster up was that these people knew what it meant to yearn for heaven. They don't have the busyness and the distractions that keep them satisfied here on earth...they work and exist longing for a new day...to be one day closer to "home". And even in that explanation it doesn't do them justice. I took thousands of pictures just capturing the love, hope and courage you see in each face.

The trip wouldn't have been possible without our Paul and Timothy...otherwise known in Uganda as Geoffrey and Stanley. These guys made our trip absolutely incredible. They have both local pastors who have taken the Great Commission seriously...they host teams and spend most of their time traveling around sharing the gospel wherever they are permitted. Geoffrey has started an orphan care ministry and is in the process of raising the money to open an orphanage and school. Right now he has currently placed 50 orphans in foster homes with familiers who are believers. To say these guys are amazing is truly an understatement. They treated our team like family and when it came time to leave them we felt we were leaving a huge part of ourselves behind.

Geoffrey

Stanley

I'm honestly not really sure where to start or what to tell and if you've seen my facebook page then you know that choosing which pics to post is an impossible task. This will be a long process and will take many many blog entries so stay tuned. I will try to slowing walk through the days slowly but surely.

For now I hear a nap calling my name. I have had a terrible cough for the majority of the trip. I have affectionately called it my "black lung" and every time I start coughing my teammates tell me to stay with them..not to go towards the light. Well I made it to the doctor this morning only to discover that the "black lung" is a case of pneumonia. I feel much better knowing that...I really thought that jet lag was whooping my tail more than ever before. Now I feel justified in how tired I am. Keep me in your prayers as I ease back into life...work is calling tomorrow.

More posts coming soon.

No comments:

FRIENDS