Monday, September 2, 2013

Find Me Somebody To Love....


If you have been following my blog for any length of time you know this sweet baby. This would be the love of my life for the last almost 7 years...Matti. She has been such a sweet companion to this introverted single lady. This may be the hardest blog post I have ever written but I need help finding this baby a new home. As many of you know I am in the process of adopting a little girl from Uganda who will hopefully be home before the year ends. After a lot of prayer and weighing the odds I have had to make the decision to re-home Matti before Daizy arrives.

Every time I share that with people they try to convince me that it will all be okay and question whether I have thought this through. If you know how much I love this dog you have to know this isn't a decision I have just made flippantly.

So why? Well for 7 years it has just been Matti and I in this little apartment and she is very protective of our home. Though she has been socialized since she was a puppy to all ages of people she doesn't really care for children. That may change if she is taken out of this environment and moved somewhere else....but in her mind this is her home and she doesn't want to be bothered. She has never bitten anyone but she just shows signs of not wanting kids in her space. The other issue I have seen is that if someone is afraid of her she thinks something is wrong and barks ferociously. In the most politically correct way I can put this....unfortunately the majority of the African Americans we have encountered have been afraid of her. This has become an issue in the apartment complex that I live in where there are several black families and several international families that are all afraid of Matti. Anytime we go out in the backyard Matti has to stay on a leash and that is no way to have to live. She needs to be able to run around and get exercise.

My number one priority has to be Daizy....who happens to be a black child. If those two odds were not against us already you have to add into the equation that Matti will be extremely jealous. She has been treated like a child for 7 years. I have created a monster because she thinks she is human. All of that adds up to potential for major transition issues. The adoption transition will have it's own unique challenges for both Daizy and I without having to worry about how Matti will handle it or if she would get aggressive with Daizy. For everyone involved it will just be best to find Matti a new family. I know the right family is out there....I just have to find them and when I do my heart will be at ease. I would hate to force this situation and try to make it work only to have to get rid of her quickly and have Daizy be terrified of dogs for the rest of her life.

So will you help us find a new home?

Here are some things you should know up front....

Matti has always been an inside dog and as a short snout dog at this point in her life she could not be turned into an outside dog. (that will be a huge hurdle because not everyone loves an inside dog)

I am not saying she can't be in a home with children but I would not recommend her to a family with small children.

Matti has no major health issues and is up to date on her shots and has been spayed.

She knows commands and obeys most of the time....just like a child she is stubborn. She has been to obedience classes at PetSmart.

Matti does well with other dogs but could not go to a home with a cat. (that probably wouldn't end well)


So if you know anyone who has had boxers before or someone who is looking for an non-puppy that is already house broken would you pass this along and feel free to give them my contact information.


Here are some more pics to help people see just what a sweet baby she really is....she will love and be loyal to whoever adopts this fur-baby.

No comments:

FRIENDS