Friday, January 16, 2015

Gotcha Day Anniversary

December 19th was our official "Gotcha Day" when I was granted legal guardianship of Daizy by the court of Uganda. It's crazy that a year has already gone by. I wasn't really sure how we would celebrate our day since it was a school day. It couldn't have been more of a perfect disaster.

On Wednesday evening Daizy began complaining of a sore throat. On Thursday morning she woke up with a fever but begged to go to school because it was the day of her school Christmas program and she was so excited. She had worked long and hard to learn the words and motions to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Side note: we just take for granted that our kids come out of the womb knowing Christmas carols. This girl had to work hard this Christmas to keep up. End side note. So off to school she went full drugged with motrin to break her fever. At that moment I became "THAT MOM" who knowingly sent her kid to school sick but I just didn't have the heart to tell her she couldn't sing in the musical. They had a performance at 9am and another at 1:30pm. I had plans to attend both and we had several friends coming to each to see her. At 9am she was smiling and had a grand time. I didn't get to speak to her to see if she was feeling okay. Fast forward to about 12:00pm when I was at a work Christmas luncheon and got a call that she was running fever and didn't feel good so I need to come pick her up. Not shocked at all. So off I went. She wanted to stay for the musical but I couldn't get her in to the see the doctor that afternoon and do the musical so I had to break her little heart.

By the time we got to the doctor and two doses of motrin later she was running 103.7 fever. This kiddo was sick. The nurse told me that flu, mono and strep had been going around and some kids were coming in with all three. At this point fingers crossed that we could come out with no mono or flu. Strep it was. Unfortunately Daize got a big ole shot in the booty which we had to hold her down for. I felt horrible and understood why some moms cry in the doctors office. I felt like such a bad mom but I knew it was for the best. Unfortunately you can't return to school until you're fever free for 24 hours which meant that Daizy would miss her school Christmas party and the last day of school. (enter sad face here)

So Friday rolls around and it's our "Gotcha Day" and though I had no plans to spend it at home with a sick baby it was perfect. We got to sleep late and then I decided to surprise her by having our Christmas together. We had plans to spend Christmas in Alabama with family so instead of getting all her gifts at once or me having to haul all of her gifts to AL we just had Christmas morning on the 19th. I didn't tell her we were doing Christmas that morning so while she brushed her teeth I rushed downstairs to sit her gifts out. It couldn't have been better. We spent the day snuggled on the couch enjoying her new movies and eating her favorite foods and I wouldn't trade it for the world.




This was just the start to what turned out to be a great Christmas with family and friends. Having a child around during the holidays brings infectious joy.

No comments:

FRIENDS