Monday, February 16, 2009

A Taste of Louisiana


Wow! What a phenomenal weekend of taking in all things Louisiana. I can honestly say that I have embraced my life as a Louisianian. Friday night we had a fish fry at the Warren's house. I feel the need to give Dr. Wade Warren mad props because not only was the fish fried to be incredibly tasty...he also caught each and every one of them. The evening got even better with a friendly game of WIZARD. I was introduced to the game Wizard by Brad Duffy...the self proclaimed King of Wizard. I was able to quickly dethrone Brad the first time we played. That game was quickly chalked up to beginners luck until I smoked him again on the rematch this Friday night. Fun times were had by all...or at least by me!

On Saturday night I went to Crooked Creek with Billy and Elizabeth to eat the first batch of crawfish for the season. Again, I can honestly say that it was the best seasoned crawfish I have ever eaten. I put away my 5lbs with little effort. We also had some crawfish gravy and rice that was delicious. Even though my feet have been swollen for two days now because of the salt intake it was well worth it. Dinner was followed up with Elizabeth's homemade king cake and chocolate covered strawberries. Life doesn't get much better.


Then on to Sunday and an early morning start. Billy, Elizabeth, Bailey, Thad and I headed to New Orleans to take in a couple of Mardi Gras parades. The two we got to see were a little disappointing after getting to experience much grander parades during my time in New Orleans but it was still fun. We got some beads and a stuffed dolphin for Bailey so we felt accomplished. We polished off the day with a fantabulous meal at Ralph and Kakoos. Fried pickles, gator bites, soft shell crabs, cajun potatoes, fish, hushpuppies...my mouth is still watering. We did manage to save a little room for dessert at Cafe DuMonde. You can't go to New Orleans without taking in some beignets and initiating new members to the powered sugar club. Thad was a good sport and what made it even better was that Billy ended up with more sugar on himself than he got on Thad.

It was a fabulous and exhausting weekend. Gotta love Louisiana culture and getting to experience it with great friends!

No comments:

FRIENDS