Tuesday, March 30, 2010

do you have what it takes to be the next BIGGEST LOSER?

Oh I have been needing to write this blog for over a week now and time has just not permitted. It has been an insanely busy week since my Biggest Loser adventure. What Biggest Loser adventure you ask? Well I am an avid watcher and fan of the NBC show the Biggest Loser and have been for many years. Who couldn't love Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels who make the obese people of America hate the day they were born and curse every fattening food they ever put in their mouth? I've always admired the contestants who would get up on national television in spandex and sports bras and weigh in for all the world to see and as I watch with admiration I am usually eating some "not good for you" dinner or a big bowl of ice cream. Oh the shame! The last few episodes right as they have gone into commercial break Jillian, in all her skinniness, has come across the screen and said "DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE THE NEXT BIGGEST LOSER?"...and I wish I could say that I took the first step to answering that question, but I didn't. I have always wanted to go on the show but have
never even gone to the website to download the application. However, one day my friend and co-worker Angie called me to her office and said she had something for me and before I knew it she pulled an application out of her desk drawer and told me to fill it out that we were applying for the show.

AND SO THE ADVENTURE BEGINS...
I never knew an application process could be so brutal or life changing. As I set out to answer the 10 page application so began the soul searching as to why I have been overweight my entire life and discovering that I'm an emotional eater, who knew? Quite an empowering thing to discover for a feeler personality who is ALWAYS emotional...better get that under control or I'll be 800lbs in no time. Probably the hardest question I had to answer was about what my closest friends would say my weakest character traits are. JUST A NOTE...if you ever have one of those questions...make up the answer instead of asking them unless you're ready to have your world rocked! For three weeks I processed how to learn and grow and be better from knowing what my weaknesses were and how they were affecting my job, my relationships, my health, etc.

After finishing the application, finally, it was time to make our video to send in to the casting directors...or so we thought. Angie went to the website to see what needed to be included in the video and discovered that NEW ORLEANS had been added as an open casting call city. Say it ain't say! So on March 20th we headed to the Big Easy along with every fat coonass in Louisiana (pardon my language...but they were!).

Our adventure started on Friday afternoon when we headed out of Pineville, LA going south for what we hoped and prayed would be a life changing weekend. Needless to say we were both on edge. Before we ever got on the expressway Angie had dropped her cell phone, the cap to her drink and goodness knows what else between the crack in my seats...she was a little disheveled. We both finally calmed down and survived the three hour drive there. Our night was spent deciding what to wear because we needed to stand out in the crowd. We had done our homework and knew that one of the casting directors was an Auburn fan so I wore khakis, a white and orange shirt and denim jacket and sported my bling Auburn necklace...I am not ashamed to do whatever it takes to stand out...Auburn fans unite. After picking out our clothes we attempted to go to bed only to disover that there was a youth group staying on our hall that obviously wasn't getting up at 4:00am like we were. After trying for a while to ignore them and go to sleep, I saw the frustrated Angie arise from her bed and just said as I was laying there, "and she's up!" Angie walked next door to asked the girls to be quiet and told them we had to get up at 4am and that we could hear every word they said. The best part was that when she knocked on the door you could hear everyone of them gasp and someone said, "it's the po po"...too funny!




This post has gotten really long and this truly is a great story so I will continue the rest of the adventure tomorrow! Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What! Way to go! I can't wait to hear about the rest of the weekend! Don't take three months to write it either!You'll do it know just to spite me! :) Love ya!

FRIENDS