Monday, May 23, 2011

sweet 16

So for those of you who faithfully read my blog I have a question to pose to you today...what did you do for your sweet 16th? The only thing I really remember was that I had made plans to drive me and my friends to the Birmingham Bulls hockey game and ended up failing my drivers test so my older sister had to drive us. After the game I ended up going to a grocery store and buying myself a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake and sat in our basement with my friend Angela and ate almost the whole thing. Wasn't one of my most stellar birthdays for sure. I can tell you what I didn't do for my sweet 16...I didn't tell everyone to not buy me gifts but instead raise money for missions.

I was truly blown away by this story yesterday...
One of my teammates for Uganda this summer is also one of my LC students. She called me yesterday to tell me that one of her former campers (she worked at SkyRanch) wanted to help her raise money for her trip and so instructed everyone attending her sweet 16 party to donate money to Amber's trip instead of giving her gifts. Talk about an amazing 16 year old...and what a testimony to the impact Amber had on this girl. She called Amber to tell her she was sending her the money and Amber was incredibly gracious but told her that she had already raised more than enough. Amber told the girl that her friend (me) was still short on her funds for the trip and would she consider dontating the money to me. The young lady told her she would pray about it and call her back. When she called Amber back she told her that she felt that the Lord led her to help Amber get to Africa and if what was needed was money for a teammate to go then I was welcome to the money. Imagine my disbelief yesterday as Amber tells me of this 16 year old girl...whom I do not know, not even her name, has donated $500 towards my trip. Amazingly enough that last $500 had been hanging over my head for quite a while and I tear up even as I type this at how it was provided. The Lord wanted to make sure that there was no doubt in my mind that he provided!

I don't know your name my friend....but thank you for blessing me and thank you for being obedient to the Holy Spirit even at such a young age. And Amber, thank you for the impact you've had on this girl and for graciously recommending where she give the money. I am blessed!

No comments:

FRIENDS