Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mardi Gras Madness

After living in New Orleans I have come to love Mardi Gras! I miss being in NOLA for this great holiday. I know that working for a baptist college means I probably shouldn't enjoy such a pagan holiday...but well...I do. So during our Mardi Gras....I mean "Spring Holiday" I made sure to take in all things MG. I started with my first round of crawfish for the season. 5lbs of absolute yummyness. My only regret is that I didn't grow up eating these bad boys. I am making up for it in adulthood.


Then it was on to the Alexandria Children's Parade. I love parades and had to keep telling myself it was for the kids when everything in me wanted to snatch beads from their little hands. I did manage to get a few good beads and a moonpie. When I lived in Mobile, AL this was the hit of parades and they don't really throw them in LA parades. I had just finished telling Amy about the yummyness of a microwaved moonpie on the way to the parade....and well look how the Lord had favor on me. I was holding a crying, scared Brayden and Amy turned around and held up the moonpie and said "look what I got you"....needless to say Brayden and I devoured it. I love getting to share these moments with the Chandler Family.


After the parade we headed to Raising Cane's....a Louisiana chain that has the best chicken fingers and dipping sauce you'll ever put in your mouth. And then it was on to the Alexandria Zoo. One of the local bakery stores in town was giving out free king cake at the zoo that afternoon. What is Mardi Gras without a king cake and if you're going to eat it then you might as well have the best one in town.


It was quite a fun filled day of taking in all things Louisiana with these cuties....



And in addition to the free king cake, the zoo had one of the Budweiser Clydesdale horses for you to take pictures with and pet. Those animals are massive and beautiful.


I wrapped up the holiday with a Mardi Gras party with dear friends eating more king cake and jambalaya on Fat Tuesday. And on Wednesday I made my first from scratch pot of red beans and rice. I feel like we sufficiently celebrated Mardi Gras 2013 in proper fashion.

1 comment:

Kasey said...

KB,

I absolutely love reading this post. One, it reminds me of things that I love very much. At the top of that list is Mardi Gras, King Cake, and Raising Cane's. None of which I get to have right now. Two, I have something new to ponder. I've never once considered the Lord's favor and moonpie in the same sentence.

FRIENDS