Tuesday, December 27, 2011

yes please...

So we Thomas' may not always get along but there is one thing we know how to do well...EAT!! I always look forward to trips home because I always know there will be good food. Whether it's eating out or cooking in this is an art we have (fortunately and unfortunately) mastered.

My personal favorite when I come home is a chain found only in Alabama called Milo's...best burger, fries and sweet tea that money can buy. The special bar-b-que sauce with grilled onion, cheese and pickles is amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thank you Milo's for making bad days better and good days out of this world with just one tasty bite.


And this next picture was my Christmas breakfast feast. We normally have grits, breakfast casserole, sausage balls and things of the sort. One year I made from scratch cinnamon rolls but had to get up before Santa even came to make them. That process made a huge mess in my sister's tiny little kitchen. Oh and I almost caught the oven on fire when the filling overflowed in the bottom of the oven. Needless to say I haven't made those again. This year we wanted something different so I decided to make french toast with real french bread. I added a little cream cheese/powered sugar mixture in between the slices with some fresh blueberries and topped with warm syrup and hello...it was divine. In fact we had round 2 for breakfast today.


Oh and how could I forget the trip home...the eating good started early. I carpooled with my friends Andrew and Victoria Hunter who were heading to Tuscaloosa. So we left Pineville on Wednesday morning with one destination in mind and it wasn't where we were each going in Alabama. It was to a little hole in the wall place called "The Donut Shop" in Natchez, MS. It was a place featured in Alton Brown's book "Feasting on Asphalt." I'll be the fisrt to admit that I was skeptical when Andrew said they were the best donuts ever. I mean seriously I didn't get this jolly by not eating hot and now Krispie Kreme donuts from early childhood until now. But I stand corrected because they truly were the best donuts I have ever put in my mouth. Praise the Lord I don't go through Natchez often or I wouldn't fit in my car.


The other little gem we feasted on the way home was a little establishment called Newk's. I've heard of the place but the only time I am ever near one is when I am traveling alone with Matti and it's not a fast food drive through kind of place. Since I was with company we made the stop and left Matti in the car. It's a good thing my white bar-b-que chicken sandwich was amazing and the company was great because Matti went crazy in the back of the car barking at people walking by and all my previously wrapped presents now had nice size peep holes where she tore the paper. You win some, you lose some. Newk's was definitely a win!



Happy eating friends!

No comments:

FRIENDS