Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Being Sifted

*this was a note I wrote on facebook that I wanted to post here as well. Again, sorry for the re-run*


I've contemplated not writing this note because I'm not sure I can do the experience justice but it was too good not to share.

There are moments in life when Jesus leans down and tenderly whispers in your ear and I had one of those moments on Thursday night.

We were having our weekly bible study (I can say that because I've now been with the group for 3 weeks) with the night guards and the people they have continued to bring with them to bible study at Curt and DeDe's. This is such an amazing group of people that I'm learning so much from.

As we began one of the ladies shared that she had 2 really vivid dreams this week that she didn't know what they meant. Side note: I love that a dream didn't seem insignificant to bring up in this time. As she shared with the group my soul was so encouraged.

Her dream went like this: she left Uganda on a plane and people asked how she was able to go. (From our experiences you've now realized that leaving Uganda isn't an easy task). And she explained that before she could get on the plane she had to be sifted. In the dream she said she physically saw herself being sifted like flour. And that's how she was able to get in the plane...she must first be sifted.

It hit me. It was that tender whisper from Jesus answering that lingering question on why we are still here in Uganda. Why can't we get on the plane and come home? We are first being sifted. First I think there are some things that needed to be sifted out in me in this journey. But more importantly...what little I know about baking...a recipe will call for you to sift the dry ingredients together before adding them to the rest of the ingredients. This sifting is to make sure the flour, baking soda, salt, etc is well mixed to produce a flawless cake. You see, Daizy and I needed this time to be sifted together before we added everything else that will be part of our lives into the mix.

I haven't always been patient or happy about the wait (14 weeks and counting) but I've always known the time isn't wasted. I've missed 8 years of Daizy's life so I don't want to take a single day with her for granted. The sifting has grown in us a great love for one another, a great bond, a needed trust and dependence.

Thank you Jesus for giving a dream to a woman that I just met who would share it at a bible study where I would be...only you could orchestrate that scene to give me a small glimpse of why I'm "still here".

No comments:

FRIENDS