Monday, March 10, 2014

Observations of a New Mom

I originally posted this as a note on my facebook but wanted to share it here so that all our adoption stories would be together.
Sorry for the re-run....

I have been taking in some things over these last few months as a new mom. Many of you will read this and say "I told you so" or "I could have told you that." And the irony of all of this is that we haven't even made it home yet. These are in no particular order and are meant to be funny and light hearted. I am in no way complaining about my sweet Daizy. I have loved every minute of being her mom.

1. A child can be full after eating their plate of food but if mom has a drink or a plate they are suddenly hungry or thirsty for what you have. She always gulps down my drink if I let her have even a small sip...mom's drink it just better apparently.

2. There is no such thing as privacy. I cannot use the bathroom in peace. I have to lock the door and turn music on to get a moment to poop without company. She can be playing by herself for hours but let mom go in the bathroom and close the door and you better believe she will be standing outside the door calling my name.

3. On the same topic...if I need to use the bathroom while we are doing our bedtime routine of story and prayer you better believe this sweet girl will pray for everyone she knows by name.

4. It doesn't matter what time you put them to bed "I'm not tired"...but they will magically fall asleep if they just lay still for 5 minutes.

5. One bed time story is never enough. And my favorite response is "but mom it's a story about Jesus...just one more please?" They learn early how to manipulate and bat those beautiful eyes.

6. Changing clothes is great fun...so why not change clothes five times a day? What's laundry? (especially when you only have 5 outfits to wear)

7. They say the funniest things. Whether it be a funny statement or a made up word. My favorite is hearing songs she has heard and the words are all wrong but I love her little rendition even when it makes no sense.

Example: I asked her the other day if she wanted carrots for dinner (she hates carrots by the way) and she looked at me in distress and in most dramatic fashion and said "Oh Lord no mom"....where does she get that from?

Another example: We watched the movie ELF way too much over Christmas because it was the only movie I had on my ipad. She has learned English from watching ELF and that's probably not a good thing. She loves the shower scene where Buddy starts singing with Jovie. The line says "I ought to say no no no" but my girl says "I oxtaput no no no"...hey it's whatever. And my favorite is that she usually only sings it when she is in the bath.

8. If you play a game with a child you are basically playing yourself because you have to help them. Nothing like playing yourself. You win some and you lose some. Battleship may be the most frustrating to play with a child...especially when they keep moving their ships.

9. If you are in bed with a child it doesn't matter if the bed is a king or a twin because the spot they want is yours. She wants to be right against me or better yet right on top of me. (Lord help me...I hate sharing a bed with anyone)

10. The bathtub is the best babysitter ever.

This is just a start. I am sure there will be much more to come. Feel free to give your mom insights. They keep us laughing don't they?

No comments:

FRIENDS