Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"she was always runnin..."


So Tuesdays and Thursdays are workout days with Hayden this semester. Usually by the mid afternoon of a workout day I have an upset stomach just because I am nervous about what is coming that afternoon...can I do it....am I going to look foolish...am I going to leave feeling ashamed or that I let Hayden down? A whole number of things run through my mind and I have worried myself sick before workouts even get here. And the crazy thing is that to date there have been very few things that I couldn't do that he has asked of me but within a week or two I can do it. Granted a lot of things I do at my own pace and not as fast as my workout partners but hey...I weigh as much as the two of them combined and I am much older so it's to be expected.
Yesterday, however, was a different story. I am a sufferer of chronic migraines that have many different triggers...chocolate, caffeine, stress,PMS and weather changes. Enter migraine yesterday because the weather was high 60's in the morning and by later afternoon is was in the low 30's...what in the world. I knew workouts were going to be cruel not only because of the weather but I had a nagging headach that was soon to become a full blown migraine. The bending, jumping, squating and do all this while holding my breathe was going to be the thing that pushed me right over the edge. However, I didn't want to bail on my partners or disappoint Hayden and so I showed up knowing that my workout for the day was going to be different. If I couldn't do anything else...I could run. And so that is what I did....while Lizzie and Shannon worked out doing strength training I ran and ran and ran. I was bundled up like nobody's business because is was 36 degrees but I was running...snot and all. In fact I ran two miles in the blistering cold and it was enough to blow off the steam from my day and before it was over the headache was gone. Hmm! I felt quite accomplished and was proud for not giving into that dang headache and settle for just going home to my bed. In the words of one of my workout pals,"you tell that migraine to suck it!" And that's pretty much what I did.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

oooo i love this!!!
im proud of you for sticking it out and not bailing!! You rocked that two miles!! Maybe running will be your free medicine!!!

Alice' M. said...

Great job KB!

FRIENDS