Saturday, September 1, 2012

Adoption Update

I figured it may be time for a little update so here goes....

FUNDRAISING: we have raised $4,340.00 so far! That's awesome just being a month into fundraising. THANK YOU all for your support. Keep it coming, spread the word and send any ideas you have...everyday there is a new expense.

PAPERWORK: Thanks to the unexpected "hurication" we just had I was able to catch up on almost all things paperwork which was wonderful. I don't want to make light of those who have suffered great damage from the hurricane but having a week off work was a blessing for this momma! If you know anyone who has gone through the process of adoption you've probably seen the glazed look in their eyes and the change in the tone of their voice when they even say the word "paperwork" and you don't really know what that means. Here is kind of what the first round of paperwork has looked like for me. Keep in mind I am doing a private adoption and so those families who use an agency have even more requirements to fulfill. Here is the first check list I received from the social worker:

*Local and FBI fingerprints (you have to apply to do this and it takes time and $$)

*Background checks for all the cities and states you have lived in since you were 18...shouldn't be a big deal unless you're like me and have done summer missions and worked summer camps and then you know what....you set the record for needing background checks from 18 states. WOOHOO! And every state has a different document to complete with different requirements--some require money, others want a notarized request, etc

*5 references who get to the joy of being grilled about you (thanks friends and family)

*Copy of marriage license (still working on that one)

*Copy of divorce or death certificate (PTL that doesn't apply)

*Copy of tax return

*Copy of birth certificate and social security card (for all living in the home)

*Copies of monthly statements for all bills

*Copies of all insurance cards (health, vehicle, homeowners, etc)

*Something that has the dimensions of each room of your house

*Copy of your last pay stub

*Letters from employers verifying employment

*copy of bank statements and savings accounts

*Copy of statements dealing with retirement, IRA, investments, etc

*Copy of current shot records for any pets in the home

Once all this is complete then starts the required adoption education!

ADOPTION EDUCATION: I just thought I was done with school but part of the process is adoption education. Please don't mistake mention of this as complaining...thus far it has been super beneficial. I have two books that I have to read and write reviews for: The Connected Child and Twenty Things Every Adopted Child Wished Their Adoptive Parents Knew. In addition I have about 10 hours of online training to complete. All of this is very informative and has caused me to think through things I probably wouldn't have thought about. If only every parent was required to do this...#wishfulthinking.

HOMESTUDY: I have officially scheduled my first interview for the homestudy. When I wrote it on my calendar I had mixed feelings...#1 doing a cartwheel...#2 throwing up.I was informed by a friend that doing them both simultaneously was a terrible idea. Good thing I can't do a cartwheel (but I didn't throw up either). Not sure why scheduling my interview made this all seem so real. As if decorating Daizy's room, hanging clothes in her closet, gathering info about every aspect of my life, paying money left and right didn't make it all real.

*my first interview is Friday, September 21st at 10am*


And that is where we are right now....keep those prayer coming because they are needed, felt and so very appreciated!







1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yes, those emotions are just what I felt! Glad to hear I'm somewhat normal :)

FRIENDS