Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I feel ya...

I was recently introduced to a blog from parents who recently adopted from the Congo. As I was reading last night I came across their blog entry from March 5th and laughed until I cried...followed by a hearty AMEN! I can't the youtube link to work properly but do yourself a favor and go watch it to get the full effect of this blog. To read more check out their blog at www.goodmorningliv.wordpress.com

CONCERNED (title of the post)

Hey precious Liv:

Your father and I have an overwhelming concern that we wanted to share with you.

As we are preparing to become your parents, thinking about what that’s going to look like, thinking about all of the things we are going to teach you and do together…we are frozen with fear over something.

This something, if our fears are realized, will stare us in the face everyday…and will follow all of us around…

YOUR HAIR.

We have NO clue how to do your hair. I know not one thing about doing ethnic hair… not one thing.

We don’t want to be those white parents with the nappy headed child.

We don’t want to get sad glances and pity looks.

We want you to know that we are researching, learning, PRAYING and asking questions about how best to handle the situation.

I ask every woman I see with hair that I love … “excuse me mam…can you tell me how you did your hair like that…. “ and I whip out my phone and take notes.

Liv, we love you too much not to handle this issue with urgency and seriousness.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE AFRAID OF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RhU6oMWeo&feature=related

We found a blog that could be a life-line for us…and you:

Chocolate Hair, Vanilla Care

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/

DO NOT FEAR…we will be ready when you get here.

YOUR mom and dad

No comments:

FRIENDS