Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 2: "a beached whale doing dolphin tricks"

It's good to know in the midst of this new journey and the unbelievable pain that I haven't lost my sense of humor. Laughing at myself through all of this may be the only thing that keeps me going some days. On day one we did this exercise called a dolphin (I think) where you lay on your stomach and lift your head back and lift your legs up and back. It's almost as if you're doing a reverse crunch...to strenthen your lower back. While laying in the middle of the football field doing this "dolphin" all I kept thinking is that I must look like a beached whale trying to do dolphin tricks. One day this whale will be a lean mean dolphin machine. Today is not that day.

For day 2 of workouts we went to the pool. This workout consisted of swimming laps, stretches, running in the water, crunches...which are so much easier on the back when you're in the water. It was a great workout and felt great on my pour aching muscles...until it was time to get out of the pool and then as I slowly climbed out of the water I magically felt like I weighed 800lbs. How does that happen?

I look forward to the day that everyone has told me is coming when I don't hurt like this. One friend even commented on my facebook that I would even crave working out. Time will tell and I hope she is right.

Here is my funny but necessary antic for the day. Hayden text messaged me yesterday and asked me how sore I was on a scale from 1-10. I wasn't really sure how to answer that knowing that day 2 is always worse than day 1...but I was certain I had to be at a 10 anyway. So out of necessity I have come up with a soreness scale to be able to answer his question more accurately. So here goes....

1-4 are all managable numbers....even numbers that I have felt without working out!
5 "ooh I am feeling muscles I didn't know I had"
6 when walking past my treadmill I long for the "good ole days"
7 I dropped something on the floor and say "screw it" and leave it there. If it was food the dog will eat it...if it was a piece of clothing I will wear something else!
8 I have had repeated thoughts throughout the day that "the human body was not made to do this!"
9 I strongly considered sleeping on the couch to avoid walking up the stairs or even worse...considered letting Matti use the bathroom in the house and clean it up later to avoid walking back down the stair (but then again see #7..bad idea)
10 Not being able to perform basic necessities of life without major pain or shedding tears. For example sitting down or getting up from the toilet. Moving your head instead of your arm when brushing your teeth. Or literally rolling out of the bed because you physically cannot sit up or stand up first thing in the morning.

And just so you know...today is a 10!

No comments:

FRIENDS