Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 9 and 10: "over achiever"

Well this week has been a little crazy with finals and we haven't really had Hayden around to push us through workouts. The news of going to Uganda came just in time for me to have to dig deep and go workout as hard and even harder without Hayden. Both on Wednesday and Friday, Sara and I hit the field and did everything Hayden would have made us do and then some. As we finished our workout on Friday we laughed about how Hayden was the "momma bird" who had shoved the two baby birds out of the nest. We have found it in ourselves to push each other and that was exciting. Don't get me wrong...I still need Hayden for a push and for new things in our routine but these birds are quickly learning to fly on their own and can take a few flights without "momma bird."

It's hard to believe that just two weeks ago I was throwing up in a workout and thought I was going to die and now I love it. I love the way I feel after a workout. I look forward all day to putting on my running shoes and getting out on that field. I used to get a nervous tummy every Monday, Wednesday and Friday because I was worried about what we would have to do and could I do it. There was no nervous tummy on Friday because I know that I can do everything Hayden asked me to do. I'm strong and getting stronger every day.

I always tell my students to "go big or go home" and so on Friday that was my motto. I knew I had to leave it all on the field if I was going to get under 280lbs this week. I got to the field before Sara and I told myself today was the day I was going to run the whole warm up lap. I certainly gave it my all and came up just short of finishing the whole lap without walking. So close! Even coming up short of the goal...I felt empowered so when Sara did her warm up lap I made a second effort to try it again. I still came up short but I was proud that I was able to run almost two whole laps without stopping. Go me!

We did our normal agility and strength training. We ran yo yos (still evil), we threw tires today and beat our time and length from last Friday. In 30 seconds Sara and I both can throw a car tire almost 50 yards down the field. I am women, hear me roar! We chunked the tire over our heads and beat our lengths from last week. The thing I love about working out with Sara is that she pushes me and encourages me all the same time. We purposely do things that we hate doing to make ourselves stronger. Sara hates dolphins so today we did 50 of them. I hate jumping jacks so we did 50 of those. Sara hates prisoner squats so we did 50. I hate planks so we did them for a minute and almost died. Then is was time to do 110s. Hayden has been making us run 2 110s at the end of each workout...so on Wednesday we ran 4 and on Friday we ran 6. Our goal is to be able to do 10 on Monday.

Ironically we feel like Hayden can't know our secret or he will start pushing us even more...but on the other hand we want to make him proud. We want him to know his effort with us is not in vain and that we want it more for ourselves that he wants it for us. I did come the realization though that if I am truly going to lose 50lbs by Uganda it may require me doing two workouts a day. Am I ready for that? Only I can answer that question and it may be a question I answer on a day to day basis. I can tell you though...I have never wanted this more and seeing a 100 to 150lb weight loss no longer seems impossible!

No comments:

FRIENDS